Is the Google Squared course all that it’s squared up to be?
Yes, and so much more.
But let’s start from the top…
What is Google Squared?
Google Squared is a six-month digital marketing leadership course taught and developed by Google.
It’s a global award-winning course endorsed by Interactive Advertising Bureau (IAB) and Institute of Practitioners in Advertising (IPA), the world’s oldest and largest professional bodies of advertising experts.
How Does it Work?
Google Squared is taught by industry experts who understand what it takes to be a successful digital marketer.
The course takes a unique approach to learning. Students hone their digital skills through peer-to-peer exchanges and live, weekly seminars. Rather than following a formal academic curriculum, the program sets the core learning objectives while allowing for flexibility in achieving them.
You’ll receive six months of training and support. You can expect weekly live seminars and dynamic leadership exercises with Google experts and industry leaders worldwide during the course.
The curriculum is divided into five modules: Strategic Digital Marketing; Digital Analytics; Targeting & Positioning; Multi-channel Engagement & Integration; and Advanced Marketing Skills.
A typical week will include:
- Small-group seminars on core concepts and emerging topics
- Guest speakers and workshops on relevant industry topics
- Weekly presentations and feedback on your projects
- Individual and group leadership exercises; and
- Live online classes where industry experts will demonstrate the latest techniques and strategies.
Who Should Sign Up?
Google Squared is aimed at professional digital marketers looking to advance their digital careers or move to the position of leadership.
It focuses on helping you stay ahead of the curve in the fast-moving digital landscape. The course is taught and guided by industry experts, offering a rare opportunity in today’s world: an intimate and small-group learning environment that gives you access to exclusive insights, tactics, and strategies.
Google Squared is not for beginners at digital marketing. This course focuses on how to take your skills and abilities to high levels of expertise.
How Long Does the Course Run?
The course runs for five to six months, featuring five modules, remote group work, weekly live classes, individual projects, and a series of assessment tests. You’ll be expected to commit between four to six hours each week for the live classes, collaborative projects, and leadership exercises.
Google Squared is challenging but rewarding. It’s both theoretical and practical, requiring you to go beyond theory and apply what you learn in each module. The course requires a high level of self-motivation and discipline, but the tools and supportive learning environment make it a worthwhile investment of your time.
What to Expect from the Course?
- Access to experts and industry leaders through small-group seminars and weekly live classes.
- A collaborative learning environment, where you work in teams on exercises and projects: You’ll be working with people from different industries across the globe.
- A well-rounded curriculum that balances theory and practice: You’ll learn how to put several media channels into action, giving you the confidence to make sound strategic decisions for your company.
- Exclusive industry insights on emerging trends
- All of this is supported by Google’s global reach, which means you get to work with the best people in the business.
What Topics Does the Course Cover?
The course covers a broad range of topics, including:
- Strategic planning and enterprise marketing
- Building digital campaign
- Marketing analytics and how to identify valuable insights
- Campaign testing and optimisation for social media and mobile environments
- Integrating digital channels for effective multichannel marketing
- Creating engaging, meaningful content for digital media
Google Squared Course Modules
The course features a progressive chain of learning modules divided into five categories, taught in their sequential order:
Module 1: A Connected World
The course will begin by introducing you to the digital world. You’ll come to understand the shape of the online universe and how it has transformed over time.
Module 2: Think Commercial
That is where your collaborative journey begins. You’ll learn how to think and develop strategic business ideas, then identify the right audience and platform to execute them.
Module 3: Think Optimised
This module will build your strategic thinking skills. You’ll learn to analyse your audience, define your goals, and create a strong value proposition for them.
Understanding what people are doing on your site is one of the most critical aspects of running a successful digital campaign. This module provides you with the ability to gather, synthesise and act on data.
Module 4: The Ongoing Revolution
In this final module, you’ll learn how to strengthen your digital operation system and integrate it into the fabric of your business. It provides a framework for assessing your digital progress and making future decisions.
- Live Online Classes: You’ll have a scheduled time for live classes, where you can ask questions from subject matter experts and interact with other students (squares).
- Weekly Seminar: You’ll participate in live weekly seminars to reinforce core concepts and stay up-to-date on the latest industry trends.
- Individual Leadership Exercises: You’ll work on individual exercises and assignments every week to expand your business skills outside the classroom.
- Expert Speakers: Industry experts share knowledge through live classes and exclusively recorded lectures, discussion panels, live hangouts, and debates.
- Expert Tutors and Facilitators: Expert tutors and facilitators provide support, guidance, and feedback to you on individual and collaborative exercises.
- Learning Outcomes: You’ll strengthen your communication skills, develop your creativity, expand your business acumen and learn key principles of effective marketing.
- Project Work: You’ll develop digital media strategies through creative campaigns, interactive applications & games, data visualisations, infographics, and more.
- Group Collaboration: You’ll work in teams to build digital media campaigns and share your ideas with the community.
- Virtual Campus: Virtual campus is a central learning hub that links all the learning tools and activities for your convenience.
- Practical Skills Session: You’ll learn practical digital skills in Google Ads, Analytics, and SEO. Not just theory, but how to practically apply the said skills.
- Discussions: You’ll discuss any doubts, ideas, or concepts from the video sessions, blogs, downloadables, and more.
Google Squared Benefits
Just to state some of the benefits that you stand to gain if you sign up for Google Squared:
You’ll Understand the Whole Picture — Technology, Strategy, and Execution
You’ll understand how technology, strategy, and execution fit together. Not only that, but you’ll also identify how it impacts your business. And know how competitors influence your market.
Google Squared is not just the theory of what digital marketing entails. You’ll put what you’ve learned into practice in real-life cases, building campaigns with your team.
You’ll follow a curriculum designed by world-class experts
You’ll learn from leading digital marketing experts, including Google alumni. Experts who have trained thousands of marketers in the industry and have years of experience in the field.
You’ll have access to a world-class support team.
The Google Squared learning program is run by experts who are on hand to help you learn. They’re available for one-on-one sessions, chat groups, and through the community boards.
They’ll help you with any questions that may arise in your learning or when putting what you’ve learned into practice.
You’ll Work with Other Marketers/Squares
You’ll work on live campaigns with other marketers from different parts of the world. That means you’ll get feedback and experience from other marketers, as well as the support of your team.
You’ll also meet up with fellow Google squared learners and experts at seminars and webinars.
You’ll receive coaching and support from your fellow marketers, as well as Google alumni. We work together to help each other learn and grow.
You’ll get access to advanced learning tools, software, and research facilities
You’ll have access to Google’s resources, which are greatly helpful in your learning. This includes the latest research, resources, and technology.
Hold a Respected Certificate from Google
You’ll have a respected digital marketing certificate from Google. The certificate can be used to further your career or help you get a new job. Endorsed by IPA and developed by Google, there’s a lot you can do with this.
For instance, you can add it to your resume and use it to secure better work opportunities.
It can also be used to get more clients, or even raise your salary. This is because digital marketing is becoming a highly sought-after skill. You can use this to get ahead of your competition and grow in your career.
That is not to mention the benefits of working with other marketers, networking opportunities, and coaching from Google Squared alumni.
7 Things You’ll Learn
The course modules aside, here are seven things you’ll learn from Google Squared.
1. Hero Help Hub
Hero Help Hub proposes a new-fangled approach to brand storytelling. It turns out an effective content strategy isn’t tied to a single campaign.
Since the approach is holistic and all-encompassing, it can discern opportunities that can help you tell a brand story. That’s usually done through a mix of content creation and distribution strategies.
2. Understanding Customer Journey: The Why, How, and What Framework
Learning how to create a customer journey is complex. Successful businesses understand that there’s more than one type of customer and their needs and preferences vary.
In the customer journey, there are no quick fixes. That means you have to think about how a brand evolves as it interacts with customers.
3. SEO Key Principles
To create content for your website, you have to understand the principles behind SEO. Let no one fool you. There’s so much you have yet to learn.
SEO, or search engine optimisation, is crucial because it helps you get your content in front of your target audience. You can then establish yourself as an authority and attract even more customers.
4. Google Analytics Key Terminologies
One of the most critical aspects of digital marketing you need to learn is how to use Google Analytics. If you want more customers, you have to know how to use this platform.
There are about 1.9 billion websites in the world, with over two trillion pages. This makes it essential to analyse your customers and how they use your website.
Create engaging content that helps you reach out to the right audiences while learning how to analyse their behaviour on your site.
5. The Role of Brand in Customer Journey
Value + Brand Story = Brand Loyalty
Your brand story is important. It’s what helps you establish a relationship with your customers and turn them into loyal followers.
Without a strong brand, you are just one of the millions of businesses found online. That is why it’s crucial to work on creating an emotional connection with your customers.
With a well-built brand story, your business is more likely to get noticed, precisely what this course hopes to help you achieve in the end.
6. Customer Value Mapping
Customer value mapping helps you understand why your customers pay attention to your brand. It’s one of the many ways that businesses measure customer intelligence.
Here you’ll learn how to build a customer value map based on the information you collect from your target customers.
7. Content Sweet Spot
When you create content, you have to make it relevant to your customers. That is the content sweet spot.
There are no shortcuts in creating content. It takes time and effort, but in the end, your content should help your business grow in a competitive market.
CIM Vs. Google Squared: Head-to-Head Comparison
It’s important to compare CIM with Google Squared. They’re both elite training centres but have different offerings:
Squared Online is targeted at marketing managers, directors, and executives who want to learn how to manage their brand or business better. It’s for graduates looking to work in the digital marketing industry.
CIM is targeted at professionals and entrepreneurs who want to grow their business online. It has three main courses:
- Digital essentials: aimed at people in the marketing support roles but are looking to move into digital marketing.
- Digital Marketing: for graduates looking to work in marketing or entrepreneurs who want to grow their business online.
- Digital Strategies: for marketing managers and directors who are looking to grow their brands.
Squared Online has a unique learning approach. Students learn through doing and through peer-to-peer learning. You learn by completing projects and working with a community of experts.
CIM has a practical approach. While the digital essentials course focuses on key digital marketing concepts and changing environments, digital marketing takes a more in-depth look, like teaching you how to integrate digital marketing with traditional marketing principles.
Digital strategy, on the other hand, is more organisational, teaching you how to develop and review an integrated, digital marketing strategy.
Google Squared offers a highly recognised certification in Google’s digital marketing program, endorsed by IPA and IAB and accredited by the CPD.
CIM offers several awards and certificates:
- Foundational Certificate in Marketing
- Certificate in Professional Marketing
- Diploma in Professional Marketing
Weekly one-hour classes, followed by a series of pre- and post-class marketing activities. Students don’t sit for any exam. Instead, they’re continually assessed through project work, self-reflection, and group assignments.
All resources can be found online, which makes it flexible for working professionals.
CIM delivers a mix of learning formats:
Live classes with interactive exercises and discussions.
They work with a network of globally recognised digital marketing experts. These professionals interact with students via virtual workshops, giving advice, offering email support, and conducting one-on-one project coaching sessions.
You’re assessed through a combination of written work, structured tasks, and group activities.
Google Squared has one of the most knowledgeable and friendliest student support systems. Their support system is always available for questions during class, group work, projects, and assessments.
They also have a strong alumni network that’s almost like family. They also organise events, webinars, and other workshops where students can share ideas, projects and post their work.
CIM has dedicated student support, available for any questions or concerns that students have 24/7. They also organise events and discussion forums where students meet to interact and hear from professional speakers.
Unique Selling Point
Google Squared is billed as the best collaborative learning platform. The program aims to create agents of change, not just marketers. It empowers marketers to share their knowledge with other students in the program to become better managers and leaders.
It’s 60% digital marketing and 40% about leadership and management.
CIM focuses on empowering the student with real-life skills that can be applied in a professional environment. It has a strong focus on career growth and developing marketing skills.
Value for Money
Squared Online is a five-month course priced at U$2270 (exclusive of VAT). The fees include all learning resources, a certificate in Google’s program, and a life-long alumni membership.
Past Squared Online students say the course is worth every penny.
CIM is priced at U$2,500 (exclusive of VAT) for a diploma and about U$1100 for a certificate. The fees include learning resources, membership to the Institute for Marketing Professionals, and course certification.
So, which of these two qualifications carries the most weight in the digital marketing industry?
While both of these programs offer excellent value and quality, we’d say Google Squared. It’s a globally recognized certification endorsed by IAB and the IPA, which is backed by years of research demonstrating its effectiveness.
CIM also offers certificates that prove your knowledge and understanding of the digital marketing industry. However, Google Squared is a comprehensive certification that helps you develop leadership and management skills that can be used in a professional environment. Google Squared is a better long-term investment for anyone serious about a career in digital marketing.
So, why Google Squared?
It’s a fun course, to begin with.
It develops your critical thinking skills, which will benefit you in all areas of life.
You get to share ideas with like-minded people who are just as passionate about digital marketing.
You have the opportunity to develop professional skills that you can use in non-digital marketing roles.
It’s extremely affordable for something of this calibre.
And, lastly, you get to be part of one of the newest and most exclusive communities of digital marketing experts.
Can Business Owners Also Sign up for this course?
The course is specifically designed for digital marketing professionals. A large part of the work involves making decisions for your business, so it’s a requirement that you are employed by an organisation or are in a position to influence marketing decisions directly.
What do Graduates say About the Course?
Google Squared is designed to help you make sense of the digital world with practical knowledge.
The course accepts students from the following list of countries:
The Ideal Candidate:
- Marketing professionals who are looking to make a jump into the digital world
- Anyone who’s serving in the managerial or professional role, either full-time or part-time
- Graduates who are looking to jump-start a marketing career in the fast-changing digital world
- If you’re a developer, a new graduate looking to make a career shift, or a manager of a digital marketing team
Google Squared isn’t a course for absolute beginners. There are qualifications to be met.
- Have a university degree, where you graduated with a first or second upper
- Have at least three years of working experience, preferably in the marketing field
- A level 4 marketing certificate, such as CIM
- An updated LinkedIn profiles
- Write and speak fluent English
- Have a computer with an internet connection
- Must have an active Google account
- Can use Gmail and Chrome browser
- Attend all of the live sessions (online classes) of your learning program
- Attend weekly seminars (recorded presentations of our live online classes)
- Participate in a minimum of two independent learning exercises every week
- Pass all individual and group assignments on time
- Co-operate with team members
- Meet all deadlines for your individual and group work, projects, and exercises
You’ll receive a digital marketing certificate from Google upon completing the course. There’s a lot you can do with this certificate. So, I won’t go into details on that. It can help you with employment opportunities and new projects.
Other than that, you’d have gained much knowledge on digital marketing. You’ll be more collaborative and better at strategizing, planning, and executing.
How Much Does It Cost?
Google Squared is priced at U$2270 (£1,659), exclusive of VAT, with no extra charges or fees. You’ll be required to pay about U$350 (£250) of the fee to secure a place and the rest in installments (no interest).
The application period for Google Squared usually opens at least once a year. The next opening depends on the number of students applying. So, keep your eyes open for the release of the next cohort.
How Do I Get Started?
Google Squared is run by Google and powered by Avado Learning. Follow this link to sign up for the course.
Google will review your application and contact you via email if they decide to accept you.
If you are interested in Google Squared, please feel free to contact us for more information.