The Ultimate Guide on SEO for Singapore SMEs

The digital space has created an online presence, a market waiting to be tapped. The platform offers equal opportunity for established and smaller brands to market their products and services. This is true the world over as it is in Singapore. However, the success of the brands in the online space is driven by the searches and site visits they receive.

Most online shoppers search and buy products online thanks to their phones, tablets, and computers. Here in Singapore, statistics show that 55 percent of the population with access to the internet use their smartphones, tablets, and computers to search or buy products. Out of this, 99 percent are under 25 years of age, 100 percent fall under the age of 25 and 34 years, 97 percent at the age of 35 to 44years, 93 percent between the ages of 45 and 54 years, and finally 69 percent for the ages 55 years and above. Such figures prove to be a huge demographic for marketers. The best approach, therefore, to tap into the potential of this demographic is to make the search engine optimisation, the SEO work for you.

The Ultimate Guide on SEO for Singapore SMEs 1

What Is SEO?

SEO creates an online presence for your site. It helps individuals looking for you to find you. Thanks to this, you will be able to convert the visitors to your clients. This makes it all the more important to have a better understanding of SEO and how it can work for you.

How does SEO work?

SEO utilises keywords used by searchers to track your site and display them in the search results. The posted results appear in a hierarchy format with the top sites having keywords that match the searches.

ALSO READ  How to Make the Most of Social Media Buttons On Your Website

Google’s tool, the Search-Based Keyword tool helps provide the right keywords customised for your site. When developing the keywords, 80 percent of the keywords should be made up of low traffic or unpopular keywords. The remaining 20 percent should be based on high traffic keywords. The low traffic keywords are those particular to your brand, for example, the name of your business. The high traffic keywords comprise of the popular phrases such as Singapore. The result is a keyword that has your entity’s name and where it can be located. You could opt for other combinations of high and low traffic words to come up with the perfect keyword.

Adopting SEO on your Site

When working on your site, it is critical to look for keywords that;


  • Generate a high search volume,


  • Have low competition, that is, the keywords are unique to your site, and


  • Keywords that match your site’s content.


Your site’s content should be crafted to include the keywords after which, you can develop your site’s content. There are certain issues your content should address to attract visitors. It should;


  • Have catchy and creative titles that capture the reader’s interest.


  • Use keywords that generate traffic to your site.


  • Be quality, unique, and relevant to the needs of visitors.


  • Be linked to other quality sites. The sites help compliment your website.


For SEO to work for you, it boils down to what content you provide to your visitors. This is what ultimately drives up the traffic to your site. It is in your best interest to be aware of what individuals are looking for, create a website that provides content that addresses their requirements, and finally, make your site appealing and user-friendly.

ALSO READ  10 Things To Look Out For Before Starting A Home Renovation Project

The Ultimate Guide on SEO for Singapore SMEs 2

Combining all the above when working on sites will help Singapore SMEs maximise the potential of the online market. Such opportunities further in the growth of the SME’s in Singapore and with it, boost the country’s economy.

About the Author

Tom Koh

Tom is the CEO and Principal Consultant of MediaOne, a leading digital marketing agency. He has consulted for MNCs like Canon, Maybank, Capitaland, SingTel, ST Engineering, WWF, Cambridge University, as well as Government organisations like Enterprise Singapore, Ministry of Law, National Galleries, NTUC, e2i, SingHealth. His articles are published and referenced in CNA, Straits Times, MoneyFM, Financial Times, Yahoo! Finance, Hubspot, Zendesk, CIO Advisor.


Search Engine Optimisation (SEO)

Search Engine Marketing (SEM)

PSG Grants: The Complete Guide

How do you kickstart your technology journey with limited resources? The Productivity Solution Grant (PSG) is a great place to start. The Productivity Solution Grant

Is SEO Better Or SEM Better?

I think we can all agree that Google SEO is pretty cool! A lot of people get to enjoy high rankings on Google and other

Social Media




Most viewed Articles

Other Similar Articles