Looking for accurate Google tips for high quality content? For a long time, Google has been laying emphasis on the need to create high-quality content in order to meet high-rank standards. Even so, the tech giant has not offered meaningful assistance to people striving to create high-quality SEO content, until recently.
Last month, the company’s Developer Relations Group released five different guides to the public that are targeted at helping its own creators to come up with “high-quality documentation.” When posted online, “documentation” means digital content.
One of the most effective ways to meet the standards required for content to deserve high rank on Google is by following these guidelines, which are what the company has set for its own content creators. These guides are just but a few of the so many tools that are internally used by the tech giant. They are as follows:
- Keyword research guide
- CSS/HTML style guide
- Java style guide
- Anchor text structuring guide for readability and Google
- Developer documentation guide
Content creating tips based on Google developer documentation guide
- Use a familiar and friendly tone with a well-defined purpose — similar to the voice you use when chatting with friends and that you would use if you were a machine.
- Your content ought to use standard American capitalization, punctuation, spelling, and grammar.
- Try to understand what users are in need of by sounding knowledgeable.
- Create short, concise, clear sentences with simple-to-understand words for users.
- Use short sentences and accessible words that are easily translatable into other languages.
- Employ descriptive and effective text in your backlinks.
- For sequences of events, consider numbered lists.
- Make sure that the outbound links you use are to sites with reliable, respectable and high-quality content.
Keyword research tips for content creators
- Craft a list of relevant, important topics based on your business/service
- Identify some keywords that are relevant to those topics
- Research related keywords on Google if you are struggling to come up with more
- Check for a mix of long-tail keywords and head terms in each topic
- Make use of Google AdWords Keyword planner to cut down your search term list
Google developer documentation guide for technical creators/developers
- Use optimized .png files or SVG files containing ALT text.
- Place your lists and tables appropriately.
- Include or as appropriate — is for visual emphasis and is for high importance items.
- Use HTML5 in UTF8 for HTML templates without BOMs (byte order marks).
- Consider 3-character hexadecimal notation instead of 6 characters for colours, as they are more succinct and shorter.
- Use CSS for visual style and HTML for structure Anchor text structuring guide for readability and Google
- The less exact anchor text you utilize, the more powerful your content becomes
- Avoid slang, technical jargon, exclamation marks and buzzwords
- Refrain from beginning your sentences in the same way
- Don’t use the word ‘please’ in the instructions
- Avoid CSS hacks and extreme metaphors
- Avoid redundant ancestor pickers that help enhance performance
- Don’t use placeholder phrases, such as “at this time” or “please note”
- Avoid null anchor text, such as “click here” on your content
Let us shift gears and look for additional Google tips for high quality content in detail.
Use a Conversational Tone
According to a recent report by MarketingProfs, more than 2 million articles are published online every day. This means that users are overwhelmed and can find articles on virtually any topic in the blink of an eye. To ensure that your article content resonates with the audience, is read, and shared, it is imperative that you use a conversational tone.
That is, write the content using a friendly tone and a writing style that will make it easy for the audience to read and relate with it. Most of the content that goes viral online is conversation, that is, the creator uses a friendly voice similar to the one that you would use when offering advice or discussing a topic with a friend, colleague or family member.
The bottom line is that, make sure you use a conversational tone when creating content for your business website or blog to spur engagement with the target audience. Any other tone will results in little or no results as it will not resonate with the readers.
Understand the Needs of the Target Audience
Before you embark on creating content, understand the needs of each segment of your target audience. What do they want to know or learn from your website? The answers to this question will provide ideas on what you should write and how you should present the information.
Fine-tune the content in such a way that it shows them that you are an expert in your niche. Use plenty of references and research studies to support your recommendations. More importantly, be consistent in your writing style and tone to build a strong following.
Consider the Audience When Writing
As mentioned earlier, millions of articles are posted online, and so you need to make sure that your content stands out from the crowd and communicates with the target audience effectively. One of the guaranteed ways of achieving this goal is by considering your audience when writing each piece of content that you intend to publish on your website.
You can achieve this by using short, concise, and clear sentences that contain words that are easy to understand. Extensive research about the audience will help you to know the type of words that you should use or not use. Jargons will make it difficult for the audience to understand the message you are trying to put across so avoid them.
Short sentences will make it easy for the audience to read the article and take the desired actions. Go an extra mile and use words that can be easily translated into other languages especially if you are targeting readers from different countries.
Be Careful With Outbound Links
Outbound links will add relevance to your content and enhance onsite SEO. Over the years, Google has become stricter; it will not hesitate to penalize you if outbound linking is not done correctly.
Stay safe by making sure that every outbound link that you include in your content to support the facts direct the readers to other websites or platforms that are reliable and respectable. More importantly, the content published on the said website should be of high value and related to your niche for the SEO benefit to be achieved.
Use Numbered Lists
When writing guides or any other form of content that entails a sequence of events or processes, it is recommended to use numbered lists. The list will make it easy for the reader to understand the sequence and follow it later. Before publishing this kind of content on your website or blog, make sure that the sequence is correct to avoid misleading the audience and compromising your credibility online.
Keywords are phrases or individual words that the target audience uses to look for information related to your niche, products or services on search engines such as Google. Unlike in the past when it was difficult to identify these words and phrases, there is a plethora of software that you can use to carry out extensive keyword research.
Use them to know which keywords that you should incorporate in your content to enhance its visibility on search engines as well as onsite SEO. If you are on a tight budget, you can use a free tool such as Google Keyword Planner for this purpose. It is equally effective, and thousands of businesses use it to optimize their content.
Numerous studies have proved that audiences respond to visuals better than blocks of text. Visuals will help you pass the intended message to the target audience well. This does not mean that you should stop publishing articles on your blog.
Go against the grind and spice up the articles with high-quality images that are related to the content. You can also embed videos that the audience can watch to learn more about the topic. Infographics are also great at capturing the attention of the audience and conveying intend message compared to the conventional articles.
Nowadays, there are plenty of graphic design tools online that you can use to create stellar visuals for your content. Alternatively, you can hire a professional graphic designer to create them for you. Whichever option you opt for, rest assured that the visuals will spice up your website or blog content, spur engagement with the target audience, and help you relate better with your readers.
Meta Description Tag
Meta description tag helps to draw the readers in by giving them an idea of what the article is offering. The search engines also display this part of the content on the search engine results page (SERPs). Ideally, the meta description should be compelling, readable and include the high-value keywords to enhance click-through-rate.
Enhance your content ability to convert readers into customers by including a call-to-action. Add a link by hyperlinking certain words such as “contact us” or “click here” to the landing pages or any other page on your website.
These are Google’s general guidelines for text documentation that are meant for use by the tech giant’s internal content creators. Nonetheless, they provide an interface into the factors that the company considers as essential for the creation of high-quality content. As such, they would be of great assistance to content creators and marketers looking for highly valuable tips to boost their content creation efforts for high ranking on Google.
MediaOne can help you create SEO content for your website or blog and also give you more Google tips for high quality content. . Get in touch with us for more details about our digital marketing services.