Domain Authority, abbreviated as DA, is a metric that shows your website’s authority. A higher domain authority indicates a high ranking on the Search Engine Results Pages and attaining increased organic followers.
The DA measurement has numbers between 0 and 100 with 100 as the highest. The concept of giving ranks to domains grounded upon their authority arose from PageRank, and it is utilised till now to rank websites and web pages.
Defining Domain Authority
A website’s DA is a number ranging between 0 and 100 that is used to determine the ranking of a site on the SERPS. It isn’t like the algorithm utilised by Google to decide your website’s rankings. Developers of the domain authority system were trying to imitate the algorithm used by Google to rank sites by considering all known aspects that are likely to affect your ranking. They then give your domains a score that can only be utilised for comparison reasons alone.
In short, DA relies on the information that the developers have concerning your website. Sometimes this data is not as correct as the data Google has on your site. Its common to have a small domain DA but have a high rank on Google’s results pages.
Other Aspects You Should Learn About Domain Authority
- Domain Authority doesn’t consider the penalties induced by Google. Domains that get penalised by Google drops their rankings. So, a domain can still have a high domain authority even when it’s under penalty.
- Domain Authority measures only 40 aspects while Google’s algorithm for ranking considers over 200 factors.
- Changing your domain authority is not a simple task. You cannot implement it on your site and expect to have a high DA right away.
- Domain authority is founded on a differential scale. It means that it is simpler to increase your DA from 15 to 25 than from 75 to 85.
- DA varies regularly. So, it is not a measurement to utilise when evaluating the performance of your SEO as time goes but instead a site metric to utilise for purposes of comparing domains.
Calculating Domain Authority
Domain authority gets determined by taking into consideration various signals, including:
- The general performance of your SEO
- The reputation of your domain and content on social media platforms. They are commonly known as social signals.
- The superiority of content on your website
- The number of backlinks to your site
- The relevance and quality of backlinks
How Do I Know the Domain Authority of My Site?
To know the score of your DA, visit Moz Open Site Explorer and key in the domain then observe the results. The results show your Domain Authority and Page Authority scores.
What is (PA) Page Authority?
PA and DA are similar. The only difference is that Page Authority utilises elements that are particular to a specific page instead of Domain-based metrics. The assigned score is an estimate that shows the potency of a webpage and how strong it is on the SERPs.
A site with a high PA will always have a high DA.
7 Useful Steps on How You Can Increase the Value of Your DA
Now that you understand what DA is and the methods you can use to calculate it let’s have a look at how you need to do to enhance your DA.
Keep in mind that any strategy you use to improve your domain authority can also enhance your ranking and general SEO performance.
You can follow the steps below to enhance your Domain Authority:
Step #1: Improve the Off-Page SEO of Your Site
The link profile of your website is a generally crucial metric when determining your DA. Sites with a robust link profile will always have a more excellent Domain Authority score than sites with a weak link outline.
What does the term great link profile mean?
A site with a robust link profile:
- Has backlinks out of high-authority sites
- Has incoming links from websites in the same field of business as you
- Does not contain poor-quality links
- Contains links from various exceptional domains.
How can you enhance your link outline?
The practice of refining the link profile is referred to as Off-Page SEO. It is connected with the strategies you can utilise to develop quality connections that will boost your rankings in the long run.
You can use these tips to strengthen your link outline and increase your DA.
- Do away with bad links. The step involves using analytic tools like SEMrush and Moz Explorer to indicate bad links. Then, you can add the “nofollow” tag or get rid of the link to devalue it. If that doesn’t work, you are capable of removing the link out of your profile using the Google Disavow Tool.
- Develop good backlinks from more related sites. Link building is a tricky and challenging aspect of SEO. A lot of things can be said about link building. It is a massive topic that is hard for beginners to comprehend and implement.
If you’re new to SEO, we suggest that you first learn the stepwise strategies of building quality links.
To provide you with a general idea of the process; there are two primary methods of developing good links.
- Posting quality content that will invite links from various related websites.
It is referred to as organic link building. The idea behind this strategy is that another related business owner comes across your content, reads your blog posts, love it, and connect to it on their posts.
For it to be operational, it is crucial to develop quality and relevant content that is worth linking. Simply put material that is intuitive, relevant, and simple to read is what attracts other webmasters to link your articles in their content.
Practically, this process is precious. However, you must be enduring since it takes time to attract sufficient readership to make some of your audience link your posts in their posts.
- The second method of creating good links is by reaching out to other business owners in your field of business and familiarising them with the fact that you are present.
By executing this, you raise your likelihood of linking your site within their content.
Step #2: Improve Your On-Page SEO
The second step in increasing your DA is to focus on the on-page SEO of your site. It deals entail optimising your web pages and the content on them. The most important aspects to consider if you want to enhance the on-page SEO are:
- Enhanced titles and meta descriptions
- Appropriate utilisation of headings in your content. Separate different ideas on your articles using the suitable headings and subheading
- Use of quality URLs and permanent links that are SEO enhanced
- The utilisation of optimised videos, images and other visual content
- Including your keywords logically – no stuffing your content with keywords
- Incorporating internal links in the material. It is a robust SEO strategy since it shows google the page to display when users search for specific
- Formatting content in a manner that increases your chances to rank high on Google’s snippets
Mentioning that quality content is among the most significant ranking consideration for both on and off-page strategies of SEO is good. As Google states in its SEO guides, you should provide fresh content that satisfies the needs of your audience. Your site is your storefront. And the same way you cannot leave your store unattended for a prolonged period. Ensure that you keep your website fresh by adding blogs, announcing special offers, sales, and new products. Remember to create content based on the needs of your audience.
Step #3: Put Focus on The Technical SEO
It is associated with insignificant SEO chores. After doing technical SEO correctly the first time, you don’t think about it again.
However, if you do not have the right technical SEO for your website, it can hurt your rankings and Domain Authority.
The Technical SEO aspects you require to consider are:
- Enlist your site with Bing Webmaster and Google Search Console tools.
- Develop and enhance your XML sitemap then submit it to Google.
- Monitor your settings for robots.txt and utilise Fetch as Google to make sure that Google the search engines can easily crawl your site.
- Consider using HTTPS rather than HTTP domains because Google penalises a website that is not secure (HTTPS is a secure HTTP).
- Add structured schema (data) to assist search engines to figure out what your content entails.
- Ensure that your breadcrumb menu is suitably outlined on each of your pages.
- Make good utilisation of hreflang link attribute if you have a site that has different languages.
Step #4: Ensure That Your Site Is Mobile-Friendly
Creating a website that is mobile-friendly is not optional anymore. It is compulsory.
Below are some reasons why:
- Internet users on mobile platforms in Singapore exceed users on desktop platforms.
- Most users initiate their search using mobile devices and then carry on using the desktop.
- Google uses mobile-friendliness as a metric to rank your website on their results pages.
- Google utilises mobile-first indexing and websites that aren’t friendly to mobile don’t get considered.
- A site that is not responsive and mobile-friendly impacts the DA score negatively
If you are not sure whether your site is mobile-friendly or not, the best thing to do is to visit Google’s Mobile-Friendly Test to check the domain. Google provides you with an excellent report with suggestions on how you can achieve a mobile-friendly site.
Step #5: Enhance the Load Time of Your Website
Page speed is among the most distinguished metrics of Google’s ranking algorithm. Sites that have a fast loading speed have an extra benefit over sites with a slow loading speed. Improving the loading speed of your website not only improves your domain authority and ranking, but also enhances your website’s user experience. This depicts more signups, leads, and purchases.
Research shows that 40% of internet users do not wait for a website to load for more than 3 seconds. It is not a simple task to bring down the problem of slow site speeds. There are various technical aspects included. If you aren’t an expert in web designing, this step can be challenging.
However, if you can’t hire an expert to improve your loading speed, you can try the following approaches:
- Utilise a Content Delivery Network (CDN) if your website contains many images and large CSS files.
- Use a streaming platform like YouTube to post your videos.
- Reduce the file size of your pictures.
- Include a plugin for managing your website’s cache
- Reach out your hosting service provider and request them to provide you with information on the performance of your server. If crucial, advance to a stronger server.
Step #6: Boost Your Social Media Signals
Although Google has officially declared that they don’t use social media signals as part of their ranking algorithm, a close connection among pages that have a high rank on social signals and Google exists. The most popular pages on Google mostly have various social media signals like Tweets, shares, and likes.
If need to improving your DA, use the tips below:
- Try to focus on your business Facebook page and seek to add your followers.
- Ensure you have a lively presence on social media to increase reactions on the information you post.
- Add your social media buttons to clear the way for users to distribute your content.
- Track how people react to your posts when people share them via social media.
Step #7: Be Enduring
As indicated at the beginning of the article, improving your DA isn’t something that you can achieve overnight. Domain Authority Crawlers takes time to crawl your website and evaluate it after you have included the steps outlined above. So, you have to be enduring.
Do not be very passionate about your DA score. It is only a numeral that indicates the strength of your domain when compared with other websites. A low Domain Authority score doesn’t imply that your site will not have a good rank on Google. Also, a high Domain Authority score does not warrant that you will generate more traffic or get a higher rank.
Always think of long-term success, which entails developing a site that will get a quality ranking on the search engines over time.