Links are used in showing the relationship between websites, even the ones infused in websites.
More importantly, internal links describe the structure of your website. A productive internal linking approach help visitors to your site navigate and comprehend your webpage easily.
A good linking strategy enables your page to rank higher and get indexed, as well as add your rate of click-throughs and conversions.
Before exploring the various ways you can utilise to enhance your SERP rankings, let’s have a look at the fundamental principles of internal linking:
- The higher the number of links you receive on your website, the higher the rank that Google assigns it. While Google uses external links to determine the general status of your webpage about other websites on the internet, internal links help them establish the position of your website about other pages on your site.
- Internal links are so crucial that Google now allows a site to have up to 1000 connections, including links in headers, sidebar, menu bar, and footers.
- Internal linking is so important that it can offer unmatched enhancements to pages that are comparatively lower in value but have a large number of internal links, like the about, contacts, and home pages.
- Links with current content are of great value, and they can imply fresh content to Google, helping you crawl new pages
Now that you know that let’s have a look at the strategies you can improve your SEO using internal links.
Reduce the Depth of Your Page to Boost the Ranking
According to officials at Google, the number of links you receive from the homepage of your website is very relevant in SEO. Google gives more positive attention to pages that are nearer to your homepage.
This approach is right because it means you can easily win over sites with deep and complex constructions.
OnCrawl has assisted various businesses in Singapore in job listings, classifieds and e-commerce to enhance the rankings and UX of their websites by shrinking the overall depth of pages.
Here are some ways through which you can reduce the depth of your pages:
- You can increase the number of similar or recommended pages that exist on job listings and product pages. This is a way of boosting the internal links within a niche, or between associated fields, to shrink down some of the deep pages.
- Add the number of advanced links. Increasing the number of links on your homepage places more pages within the links closer to the homepage.
- Reduce the number of browsable links in the category lists. You can do this by adding the number of items on each page, which leads to reduced items per category.
All these methods make it easy to decrease the levels of depth of your website.
Employing mechanisms that reduce the depth of your pages enables your brand to crawl within a shorter period.
And this allows Google to discover new products efficiently, enhancing ore profitable commercial campaigns, promotions, and sales.
Create Content Hubs to Boost Rankings
Internal linking helps content function better, especially for sites that utilise content marketing to develop their website and enhance their influence on particular topics.
You can gain ranks in the SERPs and increase your authority over other pages on various issues by solidifying the main subjects and putting related content near the homepages.
You can use OnCrawl to section your site depending on your hubs of content.
It will assist you to imagine the structure of linking between confined content groups and within a hub. A content hub has several pages of material from related keywords or topics.
It is arranged around a home page, and it uses internal links among its pages to strengthen the connection between pages
Your homepage will have a high rank because of the authority the hub gives it overall its related pages.
Using internal links to create hubs for your thematic content can also enhance the rate of click-throughs and influence of your site.
A higher connection between the links in your thematic content hub indicates a high rank in the SERPs.
Use Internal Linking for Websites That Promote Seasonal or Event-Related Brands
Websites that handle campaigns that are related to events or seasonal can gain a lot from internal linking.
These events include ticket sales and holiday specials, and they need to be successfully promoted before the event happens.
Here is what you need to do to run an event-related digital campaign in Singapore effectively:
- Develop landing pages that are enhanced for queries related to the occasion. The page should have enough information to rank high for the expected search terms and should be directly related to the theme of the event. Promoting a single landing page that is rich with relevant information is more comfortable than promoting multiple landing pages.
- Indicate the countdown and date of the event on your landing page. The countdown can assist in establishing content changes and improving the crawl rate.
- Make a content hub for the related content and link your landing page to this content. In this case, content refers to the pages available on your website, and they include event pages, pages on related products, pages on similar articles, etc. This will help in distributing the recognition from the landing page to other pages that it connects to.
- Use internal linking to advertise the landing page on your website to make it accessible from various pages on your site.
You should also monitor the metrics that show the success of your approach, and these metrics include the following:
- On-Page factors: ensure that your landing page is optimised for on-site SEO. Confirm the titles, descriptions, headings, and the number of words for your landing page.
- SEO visits and influences: confirm whether the traffic to your landing page increases and if it appears in the SERPs.
- The rate of crawl: monitor whether there is an increment in the crawling behaviour of your website before the event.
Do not forget to demote or remove links and landing pages from your website when the event expires.
Internal links can result in outstanding results in how Google ranks your website, how your page is given priority and the number of visitors to your site.
Using internal links to promote various page groups, develop hubs for content, and reduce page depth will offer you more benefits in your endeavours to establish a lasting SEO strategy.